Medieval spiral staircases in castles are running clockwise. This is because all knights used to be right-handed. When the intruding army would climb the stairs they would not be able to use their right hand. When the right hand was holding the sword, this would be difficult to climb the stairs. Left-handed knights would have had no troubles, except left-handed people could never become knights. This is because it was assumed that left-handed people were descendants of the devil.
More fun and useless facts:
- Artificial intelligence can predict which movies will succeed simply from plot summaries
- Medieval Spiral staircases in Castles
- The word “School” comes from the ancient Greek for “FREE TIME”
- People are 1% Shorter in the evening than in the morning
- All 10 of the most venomous snakes in the world live in Australia